World No. 2 Rafael Nadal on Thursday said that he and Roger Federer made a joint decision to stand for the ATP Player Council.
The 33-year-old Spaniard confirmed the choice at the Rogers Cup after reaching the quarter-finals.
Federer and Nadal were elected by fellow players to fill two of the vacancies left by the resignations of Robin Haase, Jamie Murray and Sergiy Stakhovsky.
“We decided to be together out there,” Nadal said. “Both of us can [combine to] be a good power, good help for the sport in some way — hopefully in a better way.”
“We are here to help and to know a little bit better what’s going on. Last year have been some up and downs in a lot of things,” he added.
Controversy has arisen over the past few months, with ATP Council president Novak Djokovic often on the opposite side of discussions from Nadal and Federer.
The world No. 1 Serb has clashed with many fellow players on the decision to dispense with the services of ATP CEO Chris Kermode, a popular figure in tennis.
Splits widened at Wimbledon, when Djokovic was taken to task over his relationship with the disgraced Justin Gimelstob.
Gimelstob, who has sat on the council, earlier this year pleaded no contest to assault charges in Los Angeles for attacking a man in front of his wife and children last year.
Djokovic has come under fire for refusing to rule out a possible return to the board for Gimelstob.
An ATP spokesman said that Nadal and Federer would begin their roles with immediate effect and would serve until the end of the existing term, which runs through Wimbledon next year.
“[There have been some] tough moments in terms of discussions — a lot of important things to have to be done,” Nadal said in vague reference to various ATP situations.
“I will try and give my opinion after more than 15 years on the tour. I can probably give a different perspective on how the game has to be or things that we can add,” Nadal added.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions