An investigation has found no mechanical problems underlying the Tuesday disappearance of an F-16 jet and its pilot, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said yesterday, adding that it does not rule out an accident due to “spatial disorientation.”
An air force F-16 jet on Tuesday evening disappeared from radar screens, just two minutes after it took off from Hualien Air Base, while the 44-year-old pilot, Colonel Chiang Cheng-chih (蔣正志), has yet to be found.
Minister of National Defense Yen De-fa (嚴德發) yesterday morning headed to Hualien for updates on the search and rescue, while giving a pep talk to Chiang’s unit, the 5th Tactical Fighter Wing.
Photo: Courtesy of Air Force Command Headquarters, MND
The ministry yesterday evening released the preliminary findings of its investigation at a news conference in Taipei.
Radio communications and maintenance records indicate that all systems were normal, and the chance of an accident due to mechanical failure is low, air force Commander General Hsiung Hou-chi (熊厚基) said.
That night it was drizzling, with visibility of about 4 nautical miles (7.5 km), he added.
While the jet took off and smoothly rose to an altitude of 2,100m, its altitude had dropped to 1,200m after 14 seconds and to sea level after 20 seconds, he said, citing readings from air force flight radar.
The military does not rule out that the pilot might have experienced spatial disorientation or an optical illusion during the ascent, he said.
Sixteen aircraft and 24 vessels have been mobilized for the search and rescue operation, he said, adding that yesterday morning, a navy vessel intercepted a signal that might have been from the missing jet.
“The military will not give up the hope of bringing Chiang home,” Hsiung said.
All F-16 jets have been grounded and while they are being inspected, Indigenous Defense Fighter jets are covering their duties, Deputy Minister of National Defense Chang Che-ping (張哲平) said earlier yesterday.
Some have said that the incident points to the increased pressure shouldered by the military as there are more frequent incursions by Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, but Chang disagreed.
PLA aircraft are typically detected in the nation’s southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ), so jets are mobilized from bases in Chiayi County or farther south, not from Hualien, Chang said.
Three PLA aircraft — a Y-8 anti-submarine warfare aircraft, a Y-8 electronic warfare aircraft and a Y-9 electronic warfare aircraft — were intercepted in the nation’s southwest ADIZ, military data showed yesterday.
President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday morning said that the air force has been instructed to conduct a thorough investigation of Tuesday’s incident, with those liable shouldering their share of the responsibility.
The ministry must remain vigilant regarding the nation’s defense, Tsai said, while calling on the public to show their support for the military.
Fifteen military personnel have been lost so far this year in drills or training incidents, including late Chief of the General Staff General Shen Yi-ming (沈一鳴), who was killed in a Black Hawk helicopter crash in New Taipei City on Jan. 2.
Additional reporting by CNA
SECRET OUT: Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung yesterday accidentally revealed that the infections occurred at the ministry’s Taoyuan General Hospital The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported the fifth COVID-19 case in a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital, where four other medical workers were confirmed to have been infected over the past week. The latest case is a nurse who had tested negative on Tuesday last week, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the CECC, told a news conference. However, on Thursday, she developed symptoms, such as nasal congestion and a cough, and a second test yesterday found that she was infected, Chen said. She is the head nurse of a ward where two
VIGILANCE: While two of the cases are family members of a nurse, there is no sign of community spread and the source of infection is identifiable, the CECC said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported four new domestic COVID-19 cases associated with a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital. Since the first case was identified on Tuesday last week, five healthcare workers — two doctors and three nurses — at the Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Taoyuan General Hospital have tested positive for the virus. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that two of the four new cases are the husband and daughter of a nurse (case No. 863) who had earlier been confirmed to have COVID-19. The husband (case No. 864)
Don Quijote, the biggest discount store in Japan, is opening its first store in Taiwan today. The three-story Don Don Donki store in Taipei’s Ximending (西門町) area, which operates 24 hours a day, has already created 400 jobs, the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) said in a press release. Many Taiwanese, including Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊), consider a trip to Don Quijote an essential stop in Japan. “I have been to Don Quijote at least 10 times myself,” Huang said yesterday at a news conference announcing the store’s opening. “They are rendering an important service, because we cannot travel
‘CONTAINED’: The CECC is not considering locking down the hospital where the infections were detected, as their source has been found, Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported one new domestic COVID-19 case, a doctor at a hospital in northern Taiwan where three other medical workers were confirmed to have the disease over the past week. The new case — No. 856 — is a doctor who had treated a COVID-19 patient together with case No. 838, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center. Case No. 838, confirmed as a locally infected COVID-19 case on Tuesday, was the first case in the hospital cluster, and later infected his partner, who is a nurse at the same