A humanitarian charter flight, carrying dozens of people who had either been stranded on Guam and Saipan amid border closures or were in need of medical treatment, arrived in Taiwan at 5:25pm yesterday.
The flight, operated by China Airlines Ltd (中華航空), landed at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport with 47 passengers and 13 crew aboard.
Five of the passengers had applied to local hospitals for treatment of tumors, heart arrhythmia or other conditions, and were approved by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, while four more are family members, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), who is the spokesman for the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC), told a noontime news conference in Taipei.
Photo: Tony Yao, Taipei Times
However, all the passengers were subject to the normal entry restrictions and 14-day home quarantine requirement, unless they experienced COVID-19 symptoms within 14 days of their departure or were suffering symptoms upon arrival, in which case they would be tested and taken to centralized quarantine facilities, Chuang said.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said 54 people had registered for the flight, but only 35 Taiwanese and 12 foreign nationals and were aboard the plane, which departed following a ceremony at Guam International Airport attended by Guam Governor Lourdes Leon Guerrero and officials from the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Hagatna.
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the importance of Guam participating in global cooperation and establishing friendly relationships with neighboring countries, Guerrero said, adding that the US territory’s relationship with TECO is very precious.
Photo courtesy of Guam International Airport via CNA
The US Department of State’s announcement that long-standing restrictions on contacts between US officials and their counterparts in Taiwan would be ended would help Guam and Taiwan establish a peaceful and democratic partnership, and discuss economic and political agreements, she said.
Meanwhile, the CECC reported six new imported cases of COVID-19, including members of an Egyptian family related to case No. 825 announced on Saturday.
The new cases are two pre-teens, a boy and a girl, and a woman in her 30s, Chuang said, adding that the family arrived on Tuesday last week, had provided negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests prior to boarding their flight and had been put under home isolation after case No. 825 tested positive.
The three began experiencing symptoms on Thursday, and were given PCR tests, which came back positive yesterday, and the nine people who sat close to them on their flight have been put under home isolation, he said.
The fourth new case is a Filipino migrant worker in her 40s who arrived on Dec. 20 last year and tested negative on Jan. 2 upon ending quarantine, but tested positive in a paid test on Friday, he said.
The fifth is an Indonesian fisher in his 20s who arrived on Dec. 25 and tested negative on Thursday upon ending quarantine, but tested positive in a paid test taken on Saturday, Chuang said.
The sixth is a Taiwanese man in his 30s who returned from visiting family in the US on Sunday last week, developed a fever the following day, and lost his sense of smell and taste on Friday, Chuang said.
The man’s test result came out positive yesterday, so five passengers who sat close to him on his flight have been placed under home isolation, he added.
Of the 834 confirmed cases in Taiwan, 101 people remain in hospital, he said, adding that 947 returning residents have applied to stay in centralized quarantine facilities since applications for 1,500 rooms were opened on Friday evening.
Additional reporting by CNA
RESTRICTIONS CONTINUE: People must wear a mask when outdoors, while employers should allow working from home or flexible hours, Chen Shih-chung said The Cabinet yesterday extended a nationwide level 3 COVID-19 alert until June 28 as the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) reported 211 locally transmitted cases and 26 deaths. The CECC on May 15 issued the level 3 alert for Taipei and New Taipei City, saying it would last until May 28. Four days later, it expanded the alert to the entire nation before announcing on May 28 that the alert period had been extended to Monday next week. The latest extension was announced following a disease prevention meeting at the Executive Yuan in Taipei yesterday morning. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung
PRIORITY GROUPS: A line of people were waiting at the Good Liver Clinic, apparently to get shots, while the CECC announced more priority groups for jabs The Taipei-based Good Liver Clinic is to be fined NT$2 million (US$72,028) after giving free COVID-19 vaccine shots to people not in groups eligible to receive them, Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) said yesterday. The Zhongshan District (中山)-based clinic was removed from the city’s list of vaccination venues and health officials would be investigated for giving 1,113 doses to the clinic, Huang told an afternoon news conference at Taipei City Hall. The Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister paper) on Tuesday in an exclusive story citing an anonymous tip reported that a Taipei clinic was doling out unused vaccines. People in
PHASE 2: The firm’s CEO said that the results were good and the experimental vaccine safe, but added that hoped-for phase 3 trials would be expensive Medigen Vaccine Biologics Corp (高端疫苗) yesterday reported positive results from an interim analysis of phase 2 trials for its COVID-19 vaccine, saying that the vaccine demonstrated high seroconversion rates and geometric mean titer (GMT) figures. A seroconversion rate is the percentage of participants in a trial displaying virus-specific immune memory after being given a vaccine, while the GMT measures the level of neutralizing antibody response, Medigen said. The experimental vaccine has a seroconversion rate of 99.8 percent and its GMT was 662 among the participants aged 20 to 89, while the gauges rose to 99.9 percent and 733 respectively in participants aged
NUMBERS HAVE FALLEN: Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said there are good signs, but ‘we cannot afford to let our guard down now’ The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 219 new locally transmitted COVID-19 infections and 22 deaths. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that the 219 local infections — 117 male and 102 female — were aged from under five to over 100 years old, and they began having symptoms between May 22 and Monday. New Taipei City reported 123 cases, followed by Taipei with 54, Miaoli County with 16, Taoyuan with 13, Keelung with eight, Changhua County with two, and one each in Hsinchu City, Taichung and Tainan. The 22 deaths were 15 men and